Sunday, July 25, 2010

The Photographer's Ephemeris


Just discovered this great application for landscape photographers called The Photographers Ephemeris (TPE). Aside from being an indispensable tool, it's free!

What it does, is allow you to plot exactly where the sun or moon will be on any given day from any location in the world. And I mean exactly!

Tonight was a full moon so I went out to test this application. I knew of a windmill near where I live that would be cool to use in the foreground. Using TPE and it's Google satellite map, I was able to plot exactly where I needed to set up my tripod to get the moon directly above my windmill. TPE also allowed me to adjust the moon rise time since there was a range of hills beyond the windmill. Sure enough, right on schedule, the moon appeared above the hills and directly over my windmill. How cool is that?

The Photographer's Ephemeris was created by Stephen Trainor, a Colorado based photographer. He also offers an iPhone application for less than ten dollars and will soon have an iPad version.

Photo Details
Canon EOS 7D
400mm 2.8 with 1.4x converter
Effective focal length of 896 mm
ISO 320, 1/10 sec @ f-16

No comments:

Post a Comment